Glass Cleaning Dos and Don’ts
Do you know the right way to clean your windows? It might seem like a simple task, but most people don’t effectively wash them. While taking your time can be tedious, proper maintenance will go a long way in helping to preserve them. Here are some dos and don’ts that will help you clean your windows like a pro.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals or ammonia-based cleaners. These products can damage the integrity of your glass. Likewise, you should avoid ammonia and alcohol-based cleaners as they can leave streaks and make your glass look dirty. The residue from streaks will, unfortunately, attract more dirt and dust, thereby requiring you to clean the glass more often.
- Don’t use tap water. The hard minerals in tap water are abrasive and can leave spots and smears. When possible, use distilled water instead of tap water.
- Don’t clean glass on hot, sunny days. The heat from direct sunlight will cause your windows to dry too quickly, which will cause streaks to appear on the glass.
- Don’t use paper towels. Avoid using paper towels to clean your windows. Doing so is not only wasteful, it’s ineffective. Paper towels can scratch glass and leave a residue of lint behind.
- Do use a microfibre cloth. Wipe up excess water with a soft microfibre cloth. This material is both absorbent and lint-free.
- Do wash your windows in sections. Soap, rinse and dry small sections of your windows one at a time. This will prevent streaking caused by soap drying before you have a chance to rinse it away.
- Do start with the area around your windows. Cleaning blinds, drapes and window sills will prevent your windows from becoming dirty immediately after you clean them.
- Do ensure new windows are glazed. Glass glazing provides UV protection and helps prevent condensation. This will help keep your windows looking their best. All-West Glass offers several glazing options to meet your needs.
- Do repair or replace old, damaged glass. All the cleaning in the world won’t help if you have old, cracked or damaged windows. All-West Glass offers residential and commercial glass repair in Edmonton and the surrounding areas.
Window and glass specialists in Western Canada
All-West Glass is an all-service glass shop in northwestern Canada with a reputation for excellence. We have over 19 locations to serve you. You can find us in Yellowknife, Whitehorse, Edmonton, Prince George, Fort St. John, Smithers and elsewhere in British Columbia and Alberta. Contact us today to learn more or find a location near you.