Whether you're replacing windows, adding a new shower door or installing a backsplash, glass is an essential part of any home renovation. With so many different types of glass available on the market, it can be tough to know which one is right for your project. Here are a few things to consider when choosing glass for your home renovation.
1. Budget. Glass can range in price from relatively inexpensive to very expensive, depending on the type, thickness and features. It's important to set a budget before you start shopping so that you don't overspend.
2. Energy efficiency. Energy-efficient glass can help you save money on your utility bills by reducing heat loss and gain. There are several different types of energy-efficient glass available, including low-emissivity (Low-E) glass and triple-pane glass. Look for glass with a low U-value.
3. Safety. Tempered glass is important for windows and other glass structures in your home. It’s the strongest type of glass available. It's also the type of glass that’s required by law in certain areas, such as for shower doors and glass railings.
4. Privacy. If you need privacy for a particular window or door, you can choose frosted glass, tinted glass or privacy glass. Frosted glass is translucent. It allows light to pass through but obscures the view. Tinted glass is coloured, blocking some light and providing some privacy. Privacy glass is a type of glass that contains a film that makes it translucent or reflective, depending on the angle of view.
Types of glass
Here are some specific glass options to consider for different areas of your home:
1. Windows. For window replacement, the most important thing to consider is energy efficiency. Low-E glass with a low U-value is a good option for most climates. Double or triple-glazed windows are energy-efficient and will help your home stay warm in winter and cool in summer.
2. Shower doors. Shower doors and tub enclosers should be made of tempered safety glass. You can also choose frosted glass for privacy.
3. Custom glass. Glass backsplashes, tabletops and shelves add a touch of elegance to any room and they’re easy to clean and maintain. You can choose clear glass, tinted glass, frosted glass or a custom design with a coloured or bevelled edge.
Window installation and repair in northwestern Canada
At All-West Glass, we carry some of the most energy-efficient windows on the market. Our window installation and repair services are also second to none. We can manufacture all types of custom glass creations for your home renovation. Contact us today to get an estimate on your project.